< Back

Notio

On bike sensor and companion mobile app to improve cycilsts aerodynamics

About the company and the project

Notio, a subsidiary company of Argon 18, develops a device called the Notio aero meter. It consists of a sensor device attached to the frame of the bicycle coupled with an AI program that measures the rider aerodynamics. The targeted audience are triathletes and performance cyclists, who are always on the search to optimize their aerodynamic performance.

I was hired by Notio to improve the user experience of their mobile application. The mobile app allows you to configurate the aero meter, record your rides and analyse your performances.

The main goal was to make the product accessible to a larger audience and to facilitate the understading and use of the aero meter

Therefore we did not limit our views to the mobile app, we considered the customer experience as a whole

How did we get user input?

The schedule before release was pretty tight and we did not have much time to conduct user researches. However we were lucky to have access to two employees of the parent company Argon 18, who were good representatives of the targeted audience. They had heard about Notio and were eager to contribute. One was a triathlete and a coach and the other an experienced road cyclist. I was really happy to have access to these people and we involved them as much as possible in the shaping of the product, adopting a kind of “community based design” approach.

Process we followed

  1. The product owner and I started sketching and refining some ideas.
Notion whiteboard sessions

Notio whiteboard sessions

Notion whiteboard sessions
  1. I translated the concepts into journey mapping, wireflows and wireframes.

Journey mapping

Wireflows

  1. Then, we conducted a workshop with the the lead of the engineering team and the user representatives.

The goal was not to get our ideas validated. Presenting ideas and concepts was just to foster the creative process. People are more creative when reacting to sketches and prototypes than if starting with a blank page. In this meeting we always rethought the experience with the input from the user representatives, who actually had the better knowledge of the customer's needs and habits.

We iterated this process every week for two months until we were satisfied with the product.

In the end we removed much of the complexity which was not essential to the experience and we focused on the one feature which will bring the more value to the customer.

Completion of the design and collaboration with developers

The branding and art direction of the mobile app was already established, I refined the design of the user interfaces in Sketch and exported the screens to Zeplin. I also documented the flow in Overflow which greatly helped to get a better view of the entire flow.

Final screens with flow

For a few screens, we envisioned advanced interactions with a data chart and other data on screen. Although I have a good knowledge of iOS user interface guidelines, my knowledge regarding advanced interactions is not on par with the one of an iOS developper. For two weeks I worked closely with the iOS developer to see how we could build these screens (adjusting the design to the constraints of the libraries available, finding alternative to what was not feasible, etc.)

Takeaways

This project was really fulfilling and the team was great. We managed to improve the user experience of the mobile app despite the great complexity of the product. What felt especially great was to involve user representatives into the definition of the product. My goal now is to go one step further: add a quick and cheap round of user tests with other users in order to get even more feedback.